From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 05:12:15 -0400
On Wed, 24 Mar 1999 06:50:23 +1000, Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>At 23:26 +1000 23/3/1999, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
>
>>I always wondered why generally things "taste good".
>>Meanwhile I found to the conclusion that this is a feature of our
>>body to tell us if it needs something really badly.
>
>I've found that the things that taste good are addictive.
>
>Sugar and coffee spring to mind. I've rarely had a craving
>for something nutrient-rich.
>
> ...Richard.
Hi Richard :-)

yes, i think that's rhight: the things that are addictice are the ones
that "taste good" and make cravings.
But the *reason* still is, IMHO
,
that our physiology or chemistry is it, what demands it.

For example:
The body adjusts to the coffee consume by adding/increasing certain receptors
(regulating tiredness) at which the coffee works on.
In the following, more coffee is needed to achieve the same effect... and so on..
In addition: coffe contains a certain vitamin (well i recall it was eather
niacin or biotin) and about 4 to 5 cups make up the days need.
This vitamin is not easy to get through normal food - meat doesn't contain it (considerable)
and some factors in grains may prohibit it intake from there.
Maybe *that's* a main reason for coffee drinking - not only staying awake.

Sugar/Carb cravings? Well, isolated sugar consume causes a flood if insulin
in the body... some minutes later (30 min or so) you will have *underSugar*
and an urgend need of glucose in your blood to let your
brain - muscles - organs work.
Meat
consume without adequate fat intake (2400 kcal are about 1/2 pound of pure fat)
will cause demand on sugars and (possibly bad, mcdonalds..)- fats.

It tastes good because of an urgent need on energy.
I think if you once overcome the strong, addiction-like cravings
by a proper food composition, then at next
real needs (for energy, protein, vitamins) will take over.
And make your eating food real fun - enjoying.

>p.s. off to make my morning coffee :(
I had 2 cups this morning too. tasted hmmmmm
I still enjoy this roasted plant seeds... :-)
Did you ever have a craving for a nice salad? Cornsalad (-lambs lettuce?)?
I often have :-) . It's really nutrient-rich.

regards

Amadeus