From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:40:58 -0500
Tom > I doubt anyone could scavenge enough to get even mildly drunk very often.
A skin bag filled with squashed fruit might be enough though.

I think it's a probability that we consumed alcohol in volume from time to
time when the conditions were right.  But mere consumption doesn't
automatically imply healthiness, the adaption necessary to join the group
of foods for which the human body was designed.

Here's a thought.  I don't know why we seem to rule out occasional self
destructive behaviour on the part of our paleo ancestors.  As Todd has
said, do you really think we would have passed up a cache of (name a
forbidden fruit) if it was offered to us?  My answer is no, we probably
wouldn't.  At least the first few times.  We'd get honey drunk, for
instance, when we came across a wild beehive, although it's really not
good for you to slam a pint of the stuff.  As the Eades have said, we'd
pay for it the next day or two but that wouldn't stop us.  And we might
mash up some wild fruits in a skin bag to make alcohol to be consumed
around the campfire one night.  And pay the next day.  That doesn't make
it healthy.