From:
Jim Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:49:33 +1030
"Jim Swayze [log in to unmask] XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" wrote:

> Todd: > ""Less bad," however, is about as good as it gets."
>
> I don't want to take your words out of context, but we have many, many
> choices available to us at the modern grocery store.

Are there really?

Probably everyone (on the paleo diet) would have me completely eliminate
grains, and pasta from my diet.

Just about everyone would say I shouldn't eat potatoes or mature beans
and peas. Many (most?) would say I should even avoid the immature peas
and beans.

Peanuts are out because they are a legume, and cashews are out because
they require technology.

Some will say I should avoid "new world" sugary fruits.

Some say no root vegetables like turnip, swede, sweet potato, beets,
even carrot etc.

Others say I should avoid the entire nightshade family including
capsicum, tomatoes and eggplant.

Yet others suggest that I should avoid rhubarb, spinach and swiss chard
because of the oxalic acid.

As I understand it, modern commercial lettuce is virtually devoid of
nutrients and, in essence, so is anything in a can.

Primitive hunter gatherers are reported to have used hundreds of
different food items regularly. I don't know about your grocery store,
but if I eliminate all of the above, there's not a huge amount of
choices left - certainly not "hundreds"!

JIm
(Partly serious - partly tongue in cheek.)