Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:42:36 -0400
Ken Stuart said:
>>fish oil is a much better source of Omega-3 fatty acids, since the ones in
fish oil have already undergone the conversion that flax oil have to undergo
in your body - a conversion that may or may not occur reliably.

This is true.

Ken suggested:
Either eat cold-water fish (such as tuna, salmon, mackerel, sardines, among
others) or take fish oil capsules (I prefer Twinlab's Dale Alexander brand
for value per dollar).

My reply:
It is common for people to lump tuna in the category of oily, deep ocean
fish as a source of EPA and DHA (preformed omega-3 fatty acids) but this is
a mistake.  The fish must be oily to be a source of omega-3s and and tuna is
not oily, and thus is a poor source of omega-3s.   So, the fish must be a
cold water fish and be oily to supply omega 3 fatty acids.

As to Amadeus' statement that fish was not part of the paleolithic diet
during the ice ages or therabouts---this is debateable.  During the ice ages
the cold water would have extended farther south and inland water would have
been colder, so fatty fish like trought, sardines, salmon and other species
rich in omega 3s would have been more prevalent.

Furthermore, no one can state with certainly what foods were and were not
available to hominids 2 million years ago and even if we knew for sure, we
are not hominids, we are homo sapiens, a different species!!!    We can
surmise, but many species are now extinct.  Stating that we should not eat
anything that early hominids did not is like saying that people shouldn't
put jet fuel in a 747 because early aircraft didn't require it.   As homo
sapiens our nutritional needs are certainly different from those of early
hominids of different species.

Cheers,

Don and Rachel