Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 19:47:34 -0700
We  have a wild onion here in Wyoming, altitude 6000 feet
plus,  Alleged to be very dangerous if eaten.

The Bitterroot valley in MT was so named because of the
roots there.  Presumably the First Americans and the Second
Americans ate it as necessary and resented it.

I  hereby declare a copyright on the "First" and "Second
American" terms used here!  December 02, 2000.  LF Mahoney.
Just now  discovered them.

For Stacie;   My  father was a City Boy,  He knew nothing of
plants poison or otherwise,  but during the Depression he
bought a farm to help feed us Kids.   I do not know what
plant in Oregon that tastes OK is poisonous.    My Mother
was of Pioneer stock.  She was fearful that if we kids ate
cherries and then drank milk we would get sick!   She cooked
all meat til it was dark gray.   I  did not like meat til I
left home and ate a rare roast.  After that I forgot all her
advice, some of which was excellent.

> >When young I ate green oat seeds,  grass stems and shoots
of

> I grew up in a rural, *agricultural* region of upstate NY.
Three sides
> around our home, they rotated hay, corn and soy bean
crops. We were taught
> to NEVER eat wild plants. Remember that today's rural
scene doesn't