From:
Jim Walsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 03:40:28 +1030
"Eric Westman [log in to unmask] XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" wrote:

> Could it be that your blood pressure is lower on the paleo diet, and
> therefore decreases the angina?

That would certainly be part of it.

One of the things I didn't go into in my original post was that I
decreased my medication partly in response to an increase in postural
hypotension. (getting dizzy when changing posture) In fact I was finding
that I was getting dizzy with "odd" vision for long periods (20 min
plus) of time.

I considered the risk of low oxygen to my brain, was greater than the
risk of low oxygen to my heart.

My BP since going Paleo and reducing medication is about the same as
before - 120/80. However, I suspect that one of the effects of the Paleo
diet may be to help the blood vessels dilate when needed. One of the
known issues with vascular disease is that sufferers often have a
reversed response to the chemical messengers in the blood telling the
arteries to dilate. Instead of dilating, they will constrict causing BP
to rise.

So, after correcting medication for a drop in BP, (bringing my average
BP back to where it was before) my body might now be regulating BP
better than it was before.

(Just my layperson's guesses.)

Jim.