Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 16:45:41 -0500
Barry Adamski wrote:

> <<<Was not clear, sorry. Nuts have a decent amout of carbs in them and
> she could have been out of ketosis.
> Ilya>>>>
>
> Funny you should mention nuts.  Walnuts when eating 4C per day along with my
> beef short ribs sent me into heavy ketosis.  I thought it was a fluke so I did
> it again a couple of days later after the sticks turned my "normal" small and
> I went heavy again.  Very strange to me (although I am sure some of the Wiley
> E. Coyote (i.e. super-genius) types on this list will inform me why it is
> perfectly logical).
Eating lots of fat always deepens my ketosis, provided I AM in ketosis. Walnuts
are very high in fat and rather low in carbs - only 7gms of digestable carbs
per 100gms, 56gms of fat. Not sure how many gms are in one cup of those, but
I bet you were not eating enough to be kicked out of ketosis. Thus all the
extra fat just deepened it.

I was referring to some other kinds of nuts. Almonds have 10gms of digestible
carbs plus 11gms of fiber (and soluble fiber IS partially digestible, about
1 calorie per gram). Cashews (not nuts, I know, but many treat them as such)
have almost 30gms of digestible carbs. Chestnuts take the crown - 44gms of
carbs, the rest being almost entirely water. Eating mixed nuts would probably
supply one with too many grams of carbs. Not knowing which nuts we were talking
about I simply brought that up as a possibility.

Ilya

PS, all these figures are per 100gms serving size