From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:53:30 -0400
On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Ray Audette wrote:

> > Shamanism didn't have to wait for the arrival of agriculture.
>
> But it did have to wait for the arrival of the dog.

Again, I thought you said that the Neanderthal didn't have dogs.
But they certainly had religion, as described in Lumsden and
Wilson, Promethean Fire, and other sources.  The Neanderthal were
evidently the first to practice ritual preparation and burial of
their dead.

But there's some nice discussion of this issue at
http://thunder.indstate.edu/~ramanank/ritual.html
along with a description of Neanderthal use of animals in
"hunting magic."

Todd Moody