From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:07:30 -0600
> Judy:  "Some years ago, I gave a copy of Neanderthin to a prominent naturopath
(Dr.Ron Schmid).  His major negative comment was as follows  (quoting
loosely):'Audette's theory is basically flawed.  Many cultures not only adapted,
but thrived beautifully on raw milk and the inclusion of some grains in their
diet.  Dr. Weston Price proved that to the world.'"

I'm curious as to how your friend feels that Dr. Price "proved that to the
world."  If I remember correctly, Price was a dentist who travelled the world
seeking out what makes primitive peoples more healthy than their civilized
counterparts.  His studies were flawed because he started with the
overwhelmingly prevalent assumption that grains and milk are a natural
components of a healthy human diet.  He apparently did not consider the fact
that these were recent additions to mankind's dietary repertoire.

Despite this bias, the lesson that can be taken from his efforts is that the
further one gets from the foods of civilization, the healthier one is likely to
be.  This doesn't demonstrate that many cultures "thrive" on raw milk and some
grains, just that they are healthier for not having done worse things to their
bodies.

It is interesting to note that one group Price singled out as an example of
healthy primitives was the Innuit, a group which we all know has historically
consumed neither grains or dairy.

Jim Swayze