From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2011 08:40:17 -0500
----- "Ron Hoggan" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I just finished reading the article at:
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110126161835.htm
> and was wondering if increased glucagon production might be causing some
> weight loss plateaus?
> Just a thought.
> best wishes,
> Ron

It's certainly possible, especially in conjunction with insulin resistance. One of the functions of glucagon is to raise blood glucose levels by the release and conversion of stored glycogen. Glucagon is produced in response to two situations, mainly: fasting and dietary protein. I've read that the so-called "dawn phenomenon", or elevated BG early in the morning before breakfast, is the result of glucagon activity during the night. And since dietary protein, but not carbohydrate and fat, stimulates glucagon production, some people also get pretty high BG if they consume large amounts of meat, even with no accompanying carbs. In insulin resistant people, any increase in BG, however it is caused, is slow to return to baseline. And while it's elevated, fat cells are slow to give up fat.

Incidentally, this may also help to explain why eating one meal per day has never been particularly effective for me, in terms of weight loss.

Todd Moody