Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 07:51:23 -0600
Last year my husband and I both developed an intense itch over most of
our bodies. I was on a low carb diet, but my husband was not. We believe
it developed in response to exposure to a bleach detergent. Since I am a
medical librarian, I did alot of research on this through MEDLINE and
other sources. I found many articles that showed that fish oils relieved
itchiness in humans and dogs. However, instead of using capsules, I
added fatty fish (high in omega-3 oils) to our diet two or three times a
week. It worked for us -- it would relieve the itch for one-three days
at a time. (And certainly less toxic than the steroid creams we were
using). By experimentation, I also discovered that exercise (walking for
40-60 minutes) and aspirin would relieve the itch for several hours.
Also CLA capsules (conjugated linleic acid) relieved the itch like
eating fish did. CLA is technically an omega-6 fat, but seems to have
different properties. Meat from grass-fed animals is also a good source
of both omega 3 fats and CLA, so that might explain why some of you got
relief from eating it.