From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:07:38 -0600
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 12:18:46 -0600, Elizabeth Beasley
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I, too, experience what Todd has written about below.
> The only paleo things I seem to be able to tolerate
> are meats and nuts.
>
> --- Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Since going paleo, I have found that I
>> don't digest large quantities of leafy greens very well.

Is it common for most paleo dieters to have trouble with specific foods?
(By that I mean, specific to them -- not necessarily the same food as for
another person?)

 From the postings on this list, I sometimes feel like I'm either doing
something wrong, I'm not sensitive enough, or I'm on the wrong list.
Within the confines of a paleo diet, I can and do consume anything I want,
in whatever quantity I want, and have no problems at all.  I routinely eat
large quantities (over a pound) of vegetables, several servings of
protein, and several pieces of fruit in a day.  Typically that includes at
least one bunch of nice greens of some sort (spinach, collards, kale,
mustard, or beet greens, etc), and then a few helpings of some more
substantial vegetables.  I often have a couple of handfuls of various nuts
to round things out (pecans, walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, or whatever I
happen to have on hand).

Not only do I not have any kind of reaction to any of the foods I eat,
going paleo seems to have *reduced* my usual allergy symptoms
drastically.  I have always had lots of sinus problems from allergies,
ever since I was a kid.  I took injections for it for several years, which
helped quite a lot, but didn't "cure" me either.  Since going paleo, the
only time I've had any sinus issues is when I got a cold.  An added bonus
is that my usual severe allergic reactions to poison ivy seem to have gone
away.  (Since going paleo, I have twice so far cleared brush on my
property that is crawling with the stuff, and have not developed any rash
at all.  Normally I just look at the stuff and break out all over.  My
family is astonished.)

I don't say these things to boast or to irritate, but to ask whether my
reactions (or lack of them) are really that uncommon?  Is this list (or
rather, the posts made to it) representative of the general population
when it comes to diet sensitivity, or is there a higher concentration of
people here with high food sensitivities?

--
   Robert Kesterson