From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:16:12 +0000
On Feb 23, 2005, at 5:11 am, Bridgeland Thomas wrote:
> http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050221/full/050221-5.html
>

> ...Kids who were fed meat also outperformed their peers in tests of
> intelligence, problem solving and arithmetic. "The group that received
> the meat supplements were more active in the playground, more talkative
> and playful, and showed more leadership skills," Allen said...

Meat supplements sounds strange!  I have this image of children all
stopping at 11 to swallow a precisely measured 100ml liquidised steak
capsule!  I believe it was either a post or link on here that claimed
that the switch from meat to grains over the last 30 000 years
correleates to a decrease in brain size of 11%.

I've always wondered why there are so many stupid people around.  I
don't mean this in an arrogant way- it's just there are plenty of
people I've known that could never in a million years survive as a
hunter-gatherer.  Certainly, I've met enough that if it was genetic,
the genes would never have lasted this long.  I guess the brain is like
everything else (bones, muscles, organs), and if fed the wrong food it
just can't develop.

I can't resist a bit of cross-posting- this story came up just the
other day.  No idea how many times it's been forwarded but it's good as
a parable, never mind a story: