From:
michael raiti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:02:01 -0800
After reading the Phinney article I have been thinking
a bit about sodium and potassium on a paleo-diet.
Phinney mentioned that traditional cultures on a
ketogenic diet consumed the broth that resulted when
cooking meat.  I understand that boiling meat will
result in the loss of much of the potassium from the
meat but what about cooking a hamburger patty or
cooking with dry heat such as roasting a leg of lamb.
Do I stll get the potassium if I use the gelatinous
liquid that I get when I bake pork chops?  Also,
Phinney include boullion for sodium in the test
subjects diets.  Is the extra sodium needed for
ketosis?  I currently am not trying to maintain a
ketogenic diet but I have at times gone through
periods where I would not add any salt to my food in
cooking (I never add it after cooking).  Is this a
mistake?  Steffanson said in his writing that the
Eskimos never added salt to their food.  Was this not
necessary because of the climate?  It seems to me that
in climates where individuals sweat more that salt is
more necessary.

Date:    Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:18:40 -0500
From:    William <[log in to unmask]>

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/2