From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 09:46:35 -0400
> survive sterilization temps and even temps far above that.  The gist of
what
> I got was that viruses are (virtually?) indestructible. We were taking our

> I guess we can put our faith in the good old USDA <g> or just forego dairy
> altogether as we've been paleo-advised to do.
>
> Theola

Hi Theola,

I think  we'd forgo eating anything. I read somewhere (the Reliable Source
from which all uncited posts spring ;-)) that the typical cell in the human
body will have something like 26 different viruses. I don't know if this
means grafted onto the DNA or free floating or what, but I believe that we
are awash in viruses.

So are animals. So when you eat a steer you are consuming great quantities
of viruses. Perhaps in mass they are small but they are everywhere if you
think about it. Since they may not be destroyed from heating, what is the
sense in worrying about it?

Meanwhile, I eat small quantities of raw milk cheese with few (apparent)
problems and of course many people drink raw milk all over the place. Lots
of people eat raw chicken and meat on this list too. That's not an argument
to do it, of course, but it is just to point out the ubiquitousness of
viruses and how apparently harmless trans-species consumption of flesh
generally is in spite of it.

--Richard