From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 19:35:30 +0100
On Jun 13, 2004, at 1:56 pm, Ozzie wrote:
> Hi everyone - this article is interesting (URL and extract below);
> anyone know which paleo foods have high natural chromium levels? Ozzie
>
> http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/88/99817.htm
> Chromium May Cut Carb Craving in Depression
>
> Could Also Cut Risk of Diabetes, Researchers Say

 From the article:

> Docherty's study enrolled 113 people with atypical depression. Two
> thirds took chromium picolinate supplements for eight weeks, and
> one-third got a placebo. Overall, the supplement didn't reduce
> depression any better than placebo. It did, however, cut carb craving.
> And that's not all.

Note the statement about the overall result...

> Patients with atypical depression who reported carb craving at the
> start of the study had significantly less depression after taking the
> supplement than after taking placebo pills.

...but among people with carb cravings, depression went down.

> "In that group with high carb craving -- a third of the patients -- we
> had a very significant benefit from chromium picolinate," Docherty
> says. "Compared with placebo, it had a 2-to-1 advantage in reducing
> depression overall."

Does this mean that in the group without high carb cravings, chromium
increased depression?  Something must balance the decrease in
depression of carb-cravers if there was no overall improvement in the
two groups combined.  Have I misunderstood something?

Ashley