From:
Richard Keene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:58:07 -0700
I ate near-vegetarian for years.  When I read Atkin's book and decided
to try it, there was severe mental
dissonance as I started to eat lots of meat.  I also got a lot of flack
from my wife and associates (who are
now starting on the Atkin's plan).  It took several days to begin to
feel comfortable eating so much meat.
I had lots of thoughts, such as "aren't I going to die from
cholesterol",  "Isn't it evil eating these poor helpless animals?",
"surly I'll have a heart attack by the end of the week!".

Still, when I started to loose a pound a day, while eating lots of
bacon, eggs, beef, chicken, fish, etc. and especially
when the mental fog, depression, ADD that I've had for forty years
cleared, then the diet became easy.  The
carbohydrate cravings, "just ONE brownie pleeeeeeeease" last about 2 to
3 days as blood sugar is
normalizing.

Hang in there.  I suggest taking vitamins and mineral supplements if on
a very low carb. Atkin's style induction
diet so deficiencies are avoided.  When eating Paleo they are probably
not necessary. (See the last few days of discussions
on that topic.)

I found the best way to avoid the social preasure is to not say a thing
about the diet to any one, and then when
they notive the slimmer, better you, then mention it.

R. Keene

>>> Larelle <[log in to unmask]> 02/14/99 12:57AM >>>
Hi All,

I am a newbie - have been lerking trying to read as many archives as I
can.
 Now it is time to introduce myself.

I have found my way to this site after attempting a 100% raw food
vegan
diet for 1 1/2 years + doing long water fasts.  I became more and more
ravenous on this diet and developed a severe bloating problem. I also
became more depressed and emotionally moody. Previous to this diet I
was
mostly vegetarian for 20 or so years - first as a lacto vegetarian and
then
much later eliminated dairy, had experimented with many diets eg
macrobiotic diet etc.

After breaking out and going beserk (back to everything, including
junk
food) for a couple of months after all raw I am now attempting a paleo
type
diet for the last couple of weeks because I put on 30 lbs in such a
short
time - since my raw food diet!!

Have any others on this list come from the raw food background?

I also want to know if any of you have overcome candida, severe
bloating/suspect gut permeability problem? (I had a stool test CDSA,
which
confirmed candida) I need to lose weight and fix this digestive
problem.  I
have just ordered Neaderthin and Starch Madness.  I am enjoying eating
meat
again after all this time, but I am still suffering from the bloating
problem and seem to be more constipated.  Would appreciate any
suggestions.

Regards,
Larelle