Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 19:53:52 -0800
Ashley:

  Good suggestions for things to read. Thanks. He actually does want  literature to back up almost everything -- even if he agrees.  But  he is open-minded and willing to read anything and think critically  about it. He actually does alot to try to avoid illness -- his dad has  had many cancers and a heart attack, so he tries to eat well, exercise,  etc.  No processed foods. The only thing we don't agree about is  the amount of fat and carbs. So, I'll look into what you have  recommended for reading. And no, we don't get into rows about it-- not  at all into controlling each other.

  Thanks, again.

  Alyne

Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  On Mar 05, 2006, at 3:34 pm, Alyne wrote:

> Ashley:
>
> Thanks for your advice.  I feel the same way.  Unfortunately,  my
> husband tends to want the literature to back everything up.

I bet if you said something that agreed with him he wouldn't ask for
literature to support that ;)  Have you shown him the recent research
showing that low-fat diets don't reduce heart disease or cancer in
women?  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4690230.stm  And does he
know about The Cholesterol Myths (Uffe Ravnskov) - one of the best
polemics I've ever read, and extremely balanced.

> I still  can't get him off the low fat/high carb bandwagon.  And he
> is  extremely healthy in all ways -- other than, in his opinion,
> the  HDL.

People generally don't do anything to reduce their risk of illness -
they only do something to get rid of illnesses they already have.
Human nature I think.  You might be interested in Not All in the Mind
by Richard Mackarness: he explains how eating a food your body can't
detoxify wears you down until suddenly illnesses appear.  They way he
describes it and the examples he gives are priceless.

> That's why I was hoping to find something he might be  receptive
> to.  Although he eats differently than I do, he is very  supportive
> of my WOE and does not try to get me to change -- so I have  to
> tread lightly.

I suspect you might have to wait until something goes wrong/gets fat/
falls off.  It's not worth starting rows about.  Of course if he gets
ill and *still* does nothing then you've got a right to be frustrated :)

Ashley

Yahoo! Mail