From:
Emma Trusty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 17:33:20 -0500
Hello,

I just joined the list and wanted to introduce myself.  I am a first year
grad. student at Washington University in St. Louis in Social Work.  I began
reading about the paleo diet on the internet about one month ago and found
it very facinating.  I have a lot of allergies and stomach problems and was
very interested in all of the health benefits related to hunter/gather
lifestyle.  I have read a bunch of material on paleo nutrition, including
Ray's book and decided that I am going to try out this diet for myself.  I
have been doing it for about 2 1/2 weeks (and my boyfriend has started also,
he is a decatholete sp? and thought it might improve his performance).  My
stomach problems have GREATLY decreased and I am feeling good.  I am not
having many problems following this diet, however I do have a few questions.
  Can you eat yams or sweet potatoes?  did the hunters and gathers have
those? (I've gotten varying information on that)  Also, what are some tips
for a poor student?  This diet is expensive!  I can find great deals at the
gro. but not when I have to shop organic and free range.  Is it cheaper to
order stuff off the internet and what health benefits do you lose when you
eat non-organic fruits and veggies and grain fed animals?  One last thing,
does anyone have any idea how many people eat this way (in the US?)

Thanks so much,
Emma K. Trusty