From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:46:34 -0500
Hi,
I eventually changed the list topic, because now it reflects the theme
in no way now...

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 08:40:23 MST, Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm NOT diabetic (but, in all likelihood, would've earned this title
>eventually).  I do, however, have problems with carbs.  Major problems.
>Only by drastically reducing carbs and completely eliminating sugar and
>grains have I been able to achieve good health.

You describe quite colourfully how a system reacts that is not able to
cope with carbohydrate input anymore.
Approaching to be called diabetic. The reactions you describe are good
enough to be called a disorder themself, aren't they?

> If I eat too many carbs, even 'good' carbs by paleo standard, I
>get puffy, crabby and sleepy.  You're idea of 'natural eating' would make
>me a fat, mean bitch ...

I suspect the blockage of the normal metabolization pathways (by having not
enough b vitamins) to be *causing* such a disorder you describe.

Adding back some vitamins will cure the damage easily.
Not in the short term.

Possibly in the long term or if the "compensatory reactions" of your body
haven't gone too far yet.

>  But most of us agree .....

I hope it's not true so many of a group of 3 or 400 people
have such drastic reactions on a otherwise natural food.

> Again, they are not required to sustain life; fat and protein
>are.

Well they are required for shure, but not in the food.
You can be shure your body makes them for you, out of protein.
At least in that very small and slow-rising amounts you seem to feel good.

As Todd pointed out, a huge steak can rise the blood sugar as well.
Somewhere I've seen a comparative table.. i couldn't find it at the moment.
I think some whole soaked or cooked grains (yes, cereals) will be not so bad
in comparison, though they are almost carbohydrate and meat has none.
(oats beeing a good guess, btw).

I don't know what you call paleo sources.
Honey...... is devoid of vitamins.
Many sweet breed fruit will give you chick rising sugar levels.

regards, Amadeus
(looking forward to your Articles)