From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:43:12 -0800
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:33:42 -0800, mark wilson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>--- Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>Keith said,
>
>> >Just to keep this more or less on topic, I should
>> add that I see the preference for
>> >chocolate+fat+sugar+milk mixes as one of the best
>> illustrations of the instincto dietary principle
>> >that you should eat each food separately, until you
>> are satisfied. Eat as much pure cocoa as you
>> >like? A teaspoon full will be as much an anyone
>> unfamiliar with the food could consume.
>
>Ken replied,
>
>> I hope you understand that there is zero scientific
>> or rational content to that paragraph.
>
>To which I reply,
>
>Sounds like a pretty rational argument to me.  Why
>don't you provide some useful content to back up your
>assertions Ken, instead of superfluous one liners that
>do nothing to further the discussion.

There is a vast quantity of "alternative" health principles out there, based
solely on the idea that they "sound good".     Just one example is the
supplement that was heavily marketed several years ago solely on the premise,
"it's the human body's largest constituent" - with absolutely no indication that
anyone has any deficiency.

The same evolutionary forces that changed our genetics to favor eating some
foods and not others, also changed our genetics to favor some behaviors.   One
of the strongest behaviors - that you can see displayed in every news program -
is to support one's tribe.

The problem is that in modern society, one is often not born into a tribe, and
therefore the mind has a need to choose one to join.   For many people, this
takes the form of supporting a sports team, for other people it takes the form
of supporting a political party, for other people it takes the form of
supporting a religion, and for other people it takes the form of supporting a
"lifestyle".    I find that 99%+ of the people following a "diet" are merely
supporting a tribe - and the Paleo Diet is no exception.

--
Cheers,

Ken