From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:34:22 -0700
At 12:21 AM 3/7/01 -0500, Millers wrote:
>My copy of Neanderthin got here last week.  I've been
>reading/rereading.  One question:  he mentions in it that another source of
>calcium was the small bones in fish and birds and such, the smallest of
>which were hard to avoid not swallowing.  I'm somewhat concerned over
>calcium, since I'm not eating tons of dark leafies on a regular basis (once
>a week or so, more often for spinach, which I've heard can bind
>calcium).  Do most on this diet take calcium supplementation, or do
>you...um...eat bones?  Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I wondered if
>anybody ever ground up bones of red meat or whatever and ate them?

I do several things myself.  Some dark green veggies (when they look
good!), some canned sardines/herring, some broth made from bones (but since
I don't add vinegar, I don't know how much calcium is leeched from the
bones, although I do simmer it a *long* time to try to get as much as I
can...), and I add a whole egg to my morning frozen fruit/water slush stuff
every 2-3 days (that means I get most of the shell).

>Also, I came late to this list.  Has there been extensive discussion of mad
>cow disease prior to this?

Yes, there was one last month--check the archives for February 2001... I
don't remember if it started in January or not...

Dianne