From:
Lawrence Tagrin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2012 17:06:22 -0500

> Date:    Thu, 22 Nov 2012 14:12:22 -0800
> From:    June Kamerling <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Calling all Paleo Jews....
>
> Hi Paleo folks,
>
> Hope your Thanksgiving is spectacularly yummy and filled w/ blessings.
>
> So, the OTHER holidays are soon upon us.
> As a Jewish family celebrating Chanukah, Potatoe Pancakes (latkes)
> are a treasured once a year traditional Chanukah food.
>
> In the past 6 years since I"ve been gluten free, I"ve used corn meal in my
> latkes.
> GREAT substitute for matzoh meal  (even better, I think).
>
> But....this year I am pretty strict paleo...
> Has anyone tried latkes w/ coconut flour, or almond meal?
> How was it? Any other ideas?
> Also what kind of oil did you fry them in?
> I've always used either peanut or canola oil.
> I think coconut oil doesn't get hot enough to properly fry the latkes.
>
> Thanks for any info on this.
> Best, June Kamerling
>

> --
> *June Kamerling
> Pilates, personal trainer, massage therapist*
> *El Cerrito Fitness Pilates and Personal Training*
> *10833 San Pablo Avenue*
> *El Cerrito, CA 94530*
> *510-604-5732*
> *www.elcerritofitness.com* <http://www.elcerritofitness.com/>
> *Check us out on Facebook...*
>
> ------------------------------
>
> My version of paleo latkes is very easy to make:

Ingredients:
Three green plantains
Two eggs
(optional) one shallot
(optional) Some portabello mushroom (about 1 large one)
One can (or as much as needed) of Coconut milk
Seasonings to taste
-----------------------------
shred the plantains using either a shredder blade in the food processor or
a manual tool
Chop the shallot and mushroom if you want to use them
Add the chopped mixture, the eggs, and about half a can of coconut milk to
a mixing bowl
Add seasonings
Use an immersion blender to make the batter - add additional coconut milk
until it's just a bit on the thin side (the plantains will absorb some of
the liquid and thicken it up)

While it sets, pre-heat a non-stick skillet

Fry the suckers!

I make an avocado-based faux sour cream to go on top.

Larry
--
Keep the books,
Burn the censors