From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 12:43:38 -0500
> > Now, more than ever, we always need to ask ourselves, "who is
> > funding this research?"  Its a generally well-recognized truth than you
can
> > design research to give you whatever conclusion you want before starting
the
> > research.

> So, since all research is paid for by *somebody* with biases, why
> pay attention to any of it?  If it's "generally well-recognized"
> that you can make research support any conclusion you want, why
> does anyone take research seriously, and why does anybody do
> research?  Could it be that the researchers are not in on this
> generally well-recognized truth?

I think that there is more bias in:

a) whether a study gets funded in the first place, and

b) whether a study gets started and then killed by the researchers (in which
case you never hear about it)

than in the study, once it gets completed and published. My sense is that
there is more bias hidden in a) and b).

--Richard