From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:00:49 -0500
On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:28:30 -0500, Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
asking for is that criticisms of
>Cordain's article be based on recognized evidence or logic. It would be to
be capricious to criticize
>a well-referenced paper on the basis of armchair speculation, prejudice or
personal anecdote
>when the paper is published in a different realm of discourse.  If Cordain
didn't care about the
>quality of his evidence, or want his evidence checked, he could publish
his stuff on his website.

>Jim Swayse asks why Loren Cordain's paper does not refer to foreign
proteins.  Good question.
>Let's know, Adrienne what you think of the paper.  I gave a copy last
night to the Medical Director
>of the National Heart Foundation - he's young and open-minded and I'm
confident it will do some
>good there.  >Keith

You don't want to know what I think, for that would be "merely" personal
anecdote.  You specifically asked for criticism of his article based upon
peer reviewed articles reaching different conclusions.  Sorry --  I'm not
about to waste time attempting to do that when I do not think much of
Cordain's purported paleo-type dietary recommendations in the first place.
I've previously posted my personal disasterous experiences (not that it
matters -- "mere" anecdote) with Cordain's dietary regime and the fact that
the more I lowered saturated fat, the worse my now excellent lipid profile
became.  I also posted how Cordain was kind enough to respond to my
inquiries regarding problems with how I physically felt while following his
dietary recommendations but that his suggestions ultimately did not work at
all for me.   Good luck with your efforts with the Medical Director at the
National Heart Foundation -- while I and plenty of others* do not agree
with much of what Cordain has to say regarding saturated fat, the acid-base
balance theory (I've posted previously about that too) and to a large
extent, the glycemic load theory -- his recommendations are nonetheless far
preferable in my view to the Standard American Diet.  Given that the Heart
Association considers junk-food like Pop-Tarts to be "Heart Healthy" --
there's truly nowhere to go but up in terms of improving their current
dietary recommendations. However, I would bet the farm that there is no way
the grain-loving establishment is going to abandon grains entirely in favor
of vegetables and fruit.  I believe (not that it matters) that soon we'll
be seeing the "Heart Healthy" stamp of approval on items like whole wheat
Pop-Tarts.

*thincs.org; westonaprice.org; lauricacid.org (I am mentioning this site
because Cordain actually refers to lauric acid as "deadly"); second-
opinions.co.uk/; bloodph.com (read Kristal's excellent Metabolic Typing or
perform tests yourself with ph strips to quickly dispell the one sits fits
all acid/alkaline balance theory)