From:
Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:22:34 -0700
Anybody know anything more about this study. In my gut I just don't
believe it. It flies in the face of too many other studies! And I can
verify that a high carb, low protein diet diet sure didn't lead to
anything like thin for me -- I was a fat making machine on that diet!

Liz

Thinnest People Eat a Lot of This Food

A four-nation study of more than 4,000 men and women ages 40 to 59 has
produced a stunning conclusion in our Atkins diet-fueled society: The
thinnest people on Earth eat the most carbohydrates. Even more alarming,
the people who eat the most protein are actually the heaviest.

"Without exception, a high-complex-carbohydrate, high-vegetable-protein
diet is associated with low body mass," study leader Linda Van Horn of
Northwestern University said in a news conference reported by Reuters.
"High-protein diets were associated with higher body weight."

Before you reach for the nearest doughnut, realize that the carbs that
do a body good aren't from french fries and white bread that contain
lots of sugar. They are complex carbohydrates such as whole grains,
fruits, and vegetables.

In the Northwestern study, more than 4,000 people from the United
States, Great Britain, Japan, and China wrote in a food diary everything
they had eaten during two 24-hour periods. "Lo and behold, what we did
find is that without exception, a high complex-carbohydrate, high-fiber,
high vegetable-protein diet was associated with low body mass index Van
Horn explained. A low body mass index or BMI is a standard measure of
healthy weight.

But also notable is this finding: The more animal protein that was
consumed, the higher the person's weight. And the greater risk to his or
her health. "I think any diet that recommends increasing the amount of
saturated fat poses a risk," said Randal J. Thomas of the Mayo Clinic.
"There may be good things about the diet...but any diet that recommends
increases in saturated fat could be increasing the risk in the population."

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/homerealestate/package.jsp?name=fte/thinnestpeople/thinnestpeople&floc=HR-1_T