From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 13:08:45 -0500
Here is, as far as I know, the classification:

-Saturated
-Monounsaturated
-Polyunsaturated -n6: LA, GLA, DGLA, AA...
                 -n3: ALA, EPA, DHA...

Saturated fat is considered as atherogenic. Monounsaturates lowers LDL without
lowering HDL too much. Omega 3s lower triglycerides and possibly VLDL. Both n3
and n6 are necessary because the fatty acids are essential, but the modern diet
tends to have an excess of n6 and a deficiency in n3. Most dietary n6 fatty
acids are in the form of LA (linoleic acid), that the body can transform into
GLA, DGLA and AA. The body can also transform ALA into EPA and DHA. EPA is
considered as more beneficial than ALA.

-meat, especially the ordinary meat (not pastured, not free-range, grain-fed)
tends to be high in saturated fat and have a high n6/n3 ratio.
-cheese is even higher in saturated fat.
-fish has less saturated fat, and is a good source of n3 (ratio n6/n3 is <1),
mainly in the form of EPA and DHA.
-flax seed oil is a good source of ALA
-Except for a few (like flax seed oil), most seeds and nuts have a high ratio
n6/n3.
-Vegetable oils and nuts are usually predominantly monounsaturated. Olive oil is
one of the best sources of monounsaturated fat. Walnut is an exception (has more
polyunsaturated fat, mostly n6)
-Fats from plant sources are usually unsaturated, except coconut which is even
more saturated than meat and dairy.

My conclusion: compared to our ancestors' diet, unless we eat wild game meat,
organs and bone marrow, our fat intake is excessively high in saturated fat and
low in omega 3s. Vegetable oils and nuts are good sources of monounsaturated fat
but have a high ratio n6/n3. Fatty fish seems the best (less saturated fat than
meat, low n6/n3 ratio).

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis