Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:45:05 -0500
Maddy,

> I am curious if anyone really knows how much salt our ancestors ate, and
> where they got it from. Many traditional nutritionists think no salt...

Sodium is an essential nutrient. Among other things, without sodium our
nerves would cease to function. We need about 500 mg of sodium per day,
although the exact amount is debatable. Most sodium in the american diet
comes from added salt in processed foods. 1/4 teaspoon of salt contains
about 500 mg of sodium. Without added salt it might not be so easy to get
our needed sodium.

For example, according to the USDA,

100 grams of raw beef rib meat contains 55 mg of sodium.
100 grams of chicken contains about 81 mg of sodium.
100 grams of raw asparagus contains about 2 mg of sodium.
100 grams of banana contains about 1 mg of sodium.
2 large eggs contain about 146 mg of sodium

So then meat, fowl and eggs may have been important sources of sodium for
inland paleos who had no direct access to fish and sea salt.

-gts