Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:46:31 -0500
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:49:09 -0600, Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Unfortunately, it seems some of the things that grow and produce the best
are now on the "food to avoid" list -- corn, peas, green beans, potatos,
maybe even tomatos.

Personally, I think tomatoes are probably OK, though I do find tomato
liquids like tomato sauce to be a bit overly acidic for my stomach at
times. Tomatoes are considered Paleo by both Ray Audette and Dr. Cordain,
and I'm not convinced that nightshades are bad for everyone, as some
believe.

Tomatoes are a bit confusing because, like potatoes, they originate in
America and were thus not eaten by Paleolithic peoples of Africa, Asia and
Europe. However, it
 is nonstarchy, high in antioxidants, and can be easily
eaten raw, making it quite similar to other Paleolithic staples. Tomotoes
are a gray area, like honey and turnips, that will probably provide mild
debate within Paleo circles for some time.

> Next spring I'm going to plant some fruit and nut trees, but I'm not
just sure which ones yet.  Apples and pears do well here, as do walnuts
and pecans (not sure about almonds).

Just don't plant currants, which are banned in the U.S. because of their
susceptibility to fungi. My mother planted a currant bush many years ago
and the fungus spread to a neighbor's tree and killed it. Plum trees do
well in Vermont, as do berries.