From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 12:50:33 -0500
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 10:34:55 EST, S C <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I think that root vegetables and rhizomes differ from starchy tubers in the
>amount and type of  carbohydrate the contain.  I can't be sure about every
>vegetable out there, but I know that beets for one contain sucrose--a
>disaccharide.  That's easier to digest than starch (amylose or
amylopectin).
>Also, roots tend to be much lower in carbohydrates than starchy tubers.

We have a very good description of Australian Aboriginal Plant foods from
Brand-Miller/Holt, Nutrition research reviews 1998.
It contains a lot of data on the roots, tubers, bulbs (alongside with
fruits seeds legumes vegetables flowers) these people eat.
And comparisons with today's cultivated items.

As a rule of thumb the nature have more fiber,less carb,more protein,
like:
                 fiber         carb          protein
cultivated r.    2+-1         21+-27       1+-1
nat.roots        8+-7         17+-13       2+-3
nat.tubers       6+-4         22+-12       2+-2
nat.bulbs        8+-6         38+-23       2+-1
cultiv.grain    10+-4         72+-2        11+-2
nat.seeds       18+-16        45+-22       12+-8

A cooked ordinary potatoe has about 17% carb, a sweetpotatoe 22%.
Seeds/Grains have very much more carb, both natural and cultivated.

That's a slight increase in carb in cultivated items, but not very much.
Very much higher is the fiber part in natural items.
A similar tendency is also found in Nuts, Seeds, pith,stalk,buds and
legumes if you compare the natural items with their cultivated counterparts.

regards,
Amadeus S.