From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 08:39:47 -0400
Charles Alban wrote:

> In a message dated 7/20/01 11:24:09 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> << ps I find a lot of what Enig and Fallon have to say to be fascinating
>  and very valuable, but seriously question some of their ideas.
>   >>
>  Such as?
>
> Charles
> San Diego

Hi Charles,
  It took me a while to get back to this--busy weekend. I have
tremendous respect for the Enig/Fallon team. I read Weston Price's book
back in the late seventies when I was in college and was very intrigued,
but forgot all about it in the subsequent decades of the ascendancy of
low-fat and vegetarian dogma. When I came upon the westonaprice.org
website this year, it slowly came back to me that I had connected with
Weston Price's writing 25 years earlier.
  I love their authoritative exoneration of saturated fat, whether from
meat, coconut, or palm. I love the way they have placed blame for CHD
where it belongs: excess n6, trans-fats, oxidized cholesterol, etc. I
find their promotion of dairy foods and butterfat to quite open to
debate, though. Even if the products are pure grass-fed, unpasteurized,
unhomogenized and organic, there are many concerns about dairy. Even
more questionable to me is their promotion of salt consumption. I don't
think we should force ourselves into sodium-free living. Since we have
such a strong preference for it, that means to me that we need a bit
more than we would get from our food without that strong preference
urging us to seek it. But if we eat all the salt we want in this time of
such high availability we are likely to be subject to increased cancers
of all kinds (not only stomach cancer), increases in osteoporosis, and
hypertension.
  I have compiled into one long text file a series of emails which are a
debate back and forth between Enig/Fallon and Loren Cordain on the
paleodiet email list from May '97 through May '98. It's very interesting
to read, sort of a "clash of the titans" of paleodiet research. I can
send you a copy if you like.

regards,
Hilary McClure
Danville, VT