From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 10:04:43 -0800
Most of the vegetarians I know, fall into two categories:

Puffy, overweight, to me in visibly poor health, susceptible to colds,
etc.

Very thin, mostly these are male, and usually people who are not "into"
food.

The first group makes up the majority. Nowadays vegetarianism is a teen
cult (and an adult cult I suppose) and it is rare to see a vegetarian
teen who is not quite overweight. One family has a child who loves meat
but is not allowed to eat it, and she is predictably quite overweight.
They even have the girl on Ultra Slim Fast.

Empirically, I notice that most vegetarians are in poor health, but
perhaps better than others who are entirely unconscious of what they eat
and are on the SAD. I am sure this is also true in many other countries.

I have known a number of folks from India who were vegetarians and they
almost invariably fit the puffy, overweight profile.

--Richard