From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 10:48:50 -0800
PAUL TOWNLEY-SMITH wrote:

> Thanks David.  Those are the sources I've been able to find, but I was
> hoping I had missed something that was cheaper.  Do you know which
> brands of chicken and turkey are best out here?  That New Zealand beef
> is delicious (they tried to scare me away from it-said it was gamey)
> and I think I convinced the store in Costa Mesa to carry NZ chuck
> roast-mmmm!
> Kerry

I once tried some sirloin steak ($2.49 /pound) at a local supermarket
and was really disapointed with the flavor. The Whole Foods and Wild
Oats meats taste much better. I would rather pay more and get both
flavor and no hormones/anti-biotics. I have been buying my chicken at
Wild Oats. Haven't tried it at Whole Foods. Chuck roast will have more
fat if they don't trim it all off. I have bought a whole plastic package
of meat (7-15 pounds) untrimed at Whole Foods. By talking to the meat
manager, I have gotten him to ok a $.20 reduction per pound since I was
buying it untrimed.