From:
"Day, Wally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:28:47 -0700
> From:    Andrea Hughett <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Intermittent Fasting

I'm not a big proponent of the "detoxify" angle in regards to fasting. The evidence is thready at best. That said, I do think there is something to be said about giving your digestive system a well-earned rest. My digestion has never been great - even as a child - and as I age I do find resting it to be beneficial (to me at least).

I've tried total fasting, IF, Alternate Day Fasting, and Warrior's Diet with various levels of success. In all cases I found it difficult to work into my rather chaotic schedule (you do need to plan fasting a bit). I would accidentally cheat without even thinking about it, or my focus would shift and I'd just give up (you know - "maybe this isn't the best day for this, I'll try again later. That sort of thing").

Then about six months ago I ran accross a bodybuilder's blog post about what he calls the 3-11 diet. He claimed to have gotten really ripped on the diet. I tried it, and it actually worked out pretty well. The idea is to fast until 3pm and then eat - at will - until 11pm; mostly protein and fat. Rinse and repeat. It seems to provide enough rest for my digestive system and yet allows for enough calories for me to perform well in my activities. It also mimics the way I ate when I was (much!) younger and going to school, which just happens to be when I was my thinnest/fittest.

I started following the schedule and have stuck to it pretty much since reading the post. I don't miss breakfast, and when I do start getting hungry at midday, I know it's only a couple more hours until I can eat. That makes it easy to stick with it. Then, I can chow down until I go to bed. Works out great for me.

Over the course of several months I was bicycling 6-10 miles each way to work and back - depending on my selected route - and I did not suffer any reduction in endurance or speed while following this eating style. Initially I was dropping fat like crazy, but that leveled out. I'm not skinny by any means, but I'm not chunky either. Unfortunately it has become too cold for me to rationally continue bicycling, so I am now relegated to "indoor training" so I don't lose my edge. When spring rolls around again I am planning to add a few more miles per day to my rides. I'll see if this eating style allows me to do that.

> Thanks. Lots of good sources to follow up - I'll get back to you if I have questions after I've done that. The >36-hour limit to avoid muscle wasting - do you know what research that number is based on?

I can't answer that, but I would guess it's not set in stone. I would also wager that most experts would say that you'd gain any muscle lost back right away.