From:
Tom Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 14:18:44 +0900
> Of course our Paleo ancestors didn't have a salt shaker on their stone
> tables, but I will point out again as I have before, that we have salt
> receptors on our tongues that I do not believe were "put there" for no
> reason. That excesses of sodium are detrimental does not totally negate the
> need for some sodium in the diet, and there is no proof that it was never
> sought out or consumed in some way beyond what occurs naturally in meats.

I would like to add that most other mammals seem to crave salt as
well. I know farmers give salt to animals to improve their health in
situations where natural salt is limited. Cattle eating a salt poor
diet have bad skin, weak, thin and dry. They are very susceptible to
parasites, ticks and such. Even wild animals will visit the cow's salt
block. This is not some special human trait, and added salt is
necessary under some conditions.