Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 03:14:58 -0700
A little support for my statement that one could eat only 75% lean
grassfed hamburger.

First my assumptions:
1) It's not necessary to consume a varied diet if you get everything you
need in one food (see Steffanson and his experiences with pemmican)
2) Daily caloric needs for weight maintenance -- a concept I'm frankly
really not sure about due to Taube's research, but I'll give it anyway
-- equals 2350 cals/day based on an active 42 year old man who weighs
155 pounds (per the Mayo calculator)
3) Daily protein requirements are about 100 grams per day for an active
42 year old man.  (Remember that excess protein is converted to glucose
via gluconeogenesis -- see Rosedale)
4) Daily carbohydrate needs are ZERO (see Taubes, Atkins, etc, etc)
5) Omega 3 needs are at least 1 gram a day (see anybody)
6) Omega 6:Omega 3 ratio should be at most 2:1 (see anybody)
7) Also note that I'm not going to touch on calcium, other minerals, or
vitamins (but see my recent email on beta carotene and vitamin A which I
believe will show that sufficient vit A can be obtained from grassfed
burger)

So how much 75% lean grassfed burger would be required to give you 2350
cals per day?  1.75 pounds.

How much protein would you get per day eating 1.75 pounds of grassfed
burger? 115 grams or 460 calories (almost none of which would be used as
calories)

How much fat?  About 1900 cals/day.  (As I've posted here before, my
experiments have shown that I don't want much fat at least early on in
the diet and that I had a hard time getting enough calories, thus
causing me to lose weight.  I don't know if this was due to insufficient
time for adaptation --see Phinney -- or my body was naturally trying to
get down to a more natural weight level, as I could stand to lose maybe
10-15 pounds at the time I was doing the experiments).

How many grams of Omega 3s? 4.7 (Dietary experts say to get at least 1-3
grams.  One teaspoon of Carlson's fish oil gives you 1.6 grams)

What is the Omega 6:Omega 3 ratio for grassfed hamburger? .81 (markedly
better than the recommended 2:1)

And how much would a grassfed burger only diet cost?  About $283/month
or $9.50/day

Jim Swayze
www.fireholecanyon.com