Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 07:02:14 -0700
At 10:34 PM 02/10/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>"Laurie Brooke Adams (Mother Mastiff)" wrote:breeds you
>> cite have histories at least two to four thousand years old (the Chihuahua
>> was to the Mayans what the guinea pig was to the Incas, and what the Sunday
>> roast is to people of European descent, to bring this back to human
eating).

>I didn't realise thechihuahua was originally bred for eating - seems a
>bit small and meatless but then some people eat song birds.

Prehispanic Mexican pottery depicts these dogs as rotund, chunky, overweight
with short little legs. It might be something to do with the "body" being the
major part of the pot and thus holding materials (and the "legs" supporting
the
pot), but I suspect the art reflected at least some reality, too (i.e., the
dogs were meaty). So chihuahuas back then did not look like today's dog (just
as corn back then didn't look like today's corn).  Art also reflects turkeys
and other animals that were important in daily life.

>Your mentioning of guinea pigs for food reminded me of my first visit to
>prospective MIL. She mentioned that at one time they had kept 28 guinea
>pigs. I said "for food?" She was disgusted with me <EG>

Did "prospective" become "she's part of the family now" ? :)

>Alison

Debby