From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2010 08:59:19 -0500
On Jun 28, 2010, at 8:15 AM, Batsheva wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> I'm finding your journal very interesting, and don't mind the daily
> entries.
>
> I was curious why you chose the height of summer to mimic a more
> winter experience... namely, ketosis.  Wouldn't a hunter/gatherer
> living in North America  be in "hog heaven" right now with the
> abundance of fruits/berries, leafy greens, tubers, etc  that would
> allow him/her to put on the necessary fat to get through the slim
> pickings of winter?
>
>  It doesn't seem that you are that overweight, so I was wondering
> what your eventual goal is?  Sorry if I missed an earlier entry
> where you might have mentioned it already.
>
> Best to you,
> Batsheva

Thank you Batsheva for your words of encouragement.

You're right about the seasonal ketosis.  Problem is, I've been in
"hog heaven" for the last two months -- that was my summer!  But
you're point is well taken that this may be best done in the non-
summer months.

And you're right that I'm not overweight clinically.  But I am a
small- to medium-boned guy (5'9") whose ideal weight is probably 142
(I was 132 when I graduated from college).  So I could fairly lose 20
pounds.  I started this at 162 and my "normal" paleo weight is 152.

So weight loss is one goal (who wouldn't want to be at their ideal
weight?)  The other two are to show how well one can do with a
moderate protein, high fat, very low carb diet -- I've seen very
little if any mention on this list of anyone trying it.  And also I
want to know how this way of eating affects physical performance.

Jim