From:
Paul Sand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:10:13 CEST
I have noticed that the list became rather a battlefield of personal dogmas,
than an open discussion forum but I hope it is just temporary state of
evolution.

Just my opinions about children feeding and food dogmas:

1. What about the cases where parents due to their  'food purism' e.g.
macrobiotics, raw foodists, vegans etc. limiting their children food choices
make them actually more harm than good? Most people here are watching from
the Palediet perspective, but what about the rest of the world? And what if
we are wrong and our children have better ideas what they should eat? No
free choice beacuse Paleo is the best (sounds familiar for me e.g meat gives
you cancer, etc.)

2. I think the worset thing the parents can do to their children is to make
them obsessed with food.
Personally I know some vegetarians' children who truly believe that eating
meat will kill them and it's really scaring.

3. Foods that are great for a parent can be a poison for a child. I cannot
tolerate lettuce in any form but my wife is eating huge garden salad every
day without any problems. Convincing each other that lettuce is a healthy
food doesn't make sense and is pointless. I think that some persons on this
list are forgetting that we are individual human beings and everybody has
slightly different metabolism/needs/taste.

4. As somebody mentioned before food/diet is only a part (smaller or
greater) of a total well being of any human creature. And when you
concentrate too much on what you should/shouldn't  eat you are not able to
enjoy you life. Again, I know (and used to be for a while by myself) people
whose life consists of instant watching what they eat, and then making
medical checks if the food is OK. or not.
Even if they find this way their perfect way  of eating the stress their
crating by such a behavior won't let them to feel really good. I understand
that when you sick you have to be more careful and self-centered but IMO any
food purism pushes this situation to the extremes creating additional stress
(e.g. panic attacks when you are hungry in a middle of a city and you are
scared to death because you don't know what to eat to avoid all this poisons
in a convenient foods).

Regards,

Paul Sand