From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:12:33 -0600
Life long allergies undiagnosed and untreated led to all kinds of
troubles, including leaky gut which only increased the number of
allergies because whole molecules were being absorbed.  Went paleo along
with reduction allergy diet; gradually adding back after testing foods
for "safety."  Improvement in all aspects unless I accidentally get into
something adverse.  Then I get the weird hungers etc.  Don't trust my
urges at all, have to think about everything that goes into my mouth.
Get tired of having to think about everything all the time but tell
myself that eventually I will develop a base of "safe" foods and life
will get easier.

The way allergies work is the body perceives a challenge (the allergen)
and reacts, primarily by sending out cortisol from the adrenals - a
variation of the "flight or fight" hard wired response.  Cortisol raised
one's blood glucose - energy ready for whatever might be needed.  This
in turn causes insulin....which drops the sugar which triggers that
feeling of hunger....sigh.  In the long run, I eat when I'm hungry and
eat what I desire, as long as it is also rational.  I strive to make
sure I'm taking in as broad a nutritional base as possible and my weight
is doing what I want.  Sometimes I'm NOT hungry but haven't eaten and
therefore eat a small portion, mostly protein/fat but sometimes a
veggie.  It's a balance act but I'm learning :)  Since doing this kind
of eating, my allergies are reducing and my weight is almost "normal."
My cholesterol at last check was 109.  The leaky gut is improving
(healing?).  Good luck figuring out your own individual needs!  It's not
a quick process but has incredible rewards.  You might also look into
the homeopathic preparations called allersodes.  Just drop that term
into a search engine - I've been using them for a while now and believe
they are also helping.

tsayonah