Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:13:43 -0600
>It is a serious question - how much of the chemicals in these things do we
>absorb?

I have read that hair dye use over 20 years doubles your risk for
arthritis.  I am so sensitive to chlorine that I feel like vomiting for two
days after visiting the local swimming pool.  If I use normal washing
powder, my legs itch like crazy when I wear jeans or tight tops.  They also
itch like crazy if I use shaving foam on my legs.  I know I am sensitive to
chemicals, and I know they are absorbed through the skin.  We all know
this, just look at the proliferation of medicines that are delivered
through patches.

Here's what I use:

A chlorine filter on my shower
A water filter on my faucet
Pure olive oil soap
An anti-perspirant that is made from crystals
An all natural citrus-based washing liquid for my laundry and dishes
Orange Clean for my bathroom/kitchen

However, I do use the following chemicals, as I have not found an adequate
natural substitute:

Toothpaste
Hairspray
Make up
Hair Dye

Here's the diet that I follow nowadays, it has helped immensely in getting
rid of the problems I experienced on the Paleo Diet:

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~sdengate

It is based upon the principal of removing all chemicals and intolerances
from the diet (natural and man-made).  It turns out I am sensitive to
salicylates and MSG, which exist in most fruits and veggies.  I hope this
is not too off-topic.  I am hoping it will be of use to those people who
want to follow a paleo diet but they still experience symptoms of food
intolerances (digestive problems, mind problems, emotional problems, skin
conditions, etc.).  My digestive problems have completely disappeared on
this diet and I have more energy at the gym.

Katrina.