From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:30:21 -0500
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Dori Zook wrote:
> > Okay, a dumb question.  How different were Neanderthals from other
(insert
> > proper term here) of early humans?

The difference is the same as between wolves and dogs.  Although dogs first
separated from wolves about 120,000 years ago according to DNA analysis, the
earliest identifiable dog remains are only about 12,000 years old.
Genetically we split from Neanderthals about 500,000 years ago but the
earliest modern remains are only about 50,000 years old ( same number of
generations).  By breeding only for tameness ( the ability to tolerate the
presence of another species), researchers have made foxes into dogs in as
few as 20 generations.

Like dogs compared to wolves, modern humans have smaller brains, shorter
snouts and less muscles than their Neanderthal ancestors.  This difference
is what separates all domesticated animals ( and plants) from their wild
prodigy and is known as Neoteny. Neanderthals would probably insists that
modern humans sit in the back of the bus and drink from their own water
holes but interbreeding would produce fertile offspring ( one indication of
being of the same species).

Just as further neotinization has recently produced breeds that are further
differentiated from early dogs ( pugs, sharpeis, etc), continuing
neotinization of modern humans results in a condition known as Down's
Syndrome ( with even further DNA differences).  Many modern humans carry the
gene to produce such offspring under the right conditions. Perhaps one can
think of modern humans as Down's Syndrome Neanderthals.  As I'm fond of
saying at Mensa meetings - if we're so smart, how come we need jobs?

Dogs did allow modern humans to hunt large animals with much smaller weapons
by holding the prey at bay where humans could kill them with multiple shots
of projectile weapons light enough to be used at a safe distance.  This
resulted in much more efficient hunting (resulting in speeding the
Pleistocene extinction's according to some theorist) and fewer "rodeo type"
injuries common in Neanderthal remains.

Ray Audette ( big brain and snout, 7% body fat  - no job;)
Author "NeanderThin"
www.NeanderThin.com