From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 14:10:49 -0500
Grant et al,

That's the key, I think.  Some people will say that it doesn't matter what
cut you use.  I strongly disagree.  I used London Broil the first few times
and it was really good, but of course, expensive.  Then I bought a cheap
roast I wish I could remember the name of and it was awful.  I actually fed
the pemmican to my dog, that's how bad it was.  Recently I started buying a
more expensive larger roast and it's really good.  The problem is that the
roast has a layer of fat around it and it's a real pain in the heinie
cutting it all off without wasting much of the meat.

As far as the ratio of suet to meat, I used to mix enough fat in a bowl to
make it stick together and put it in a pan and press it flat.  One time I
had a little bit of fat left over and I poured it in the pemmican on the
cookie pan.  It came out more solid, and I noticed that it didn't take as
much to fill me up.  The suet has a grainy consistency that takes some
getting used to (spoiled as we all are by that heinous margarine!) though.

As for only liking it with fruit in it, I season mine with sea salt and
garlic powder.  It doesn't do much for your breath, so I wouldn't advise it
for the paleo-singles among you, but it's really tasty like that.  Make a
little bit like that and try it.  Careful with the salt though.  It's
really easy to accidentally create something with a half-life...

Take care,
John Pavao

BUT, my wife has been experimenting with different cuts, thicknesses and
ratios of dried beef to suet.