From:
Kent Multer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 17:46:23 -0500
>>BTW, I was at an amusement center for kids the other day, kind of like a
>>Chuck E Cheese, and have never seen so many obese people, gigantic women/men
>>lumbering around, I wanted to reach out to them and tell them about paleo!
>
>Fat and meat consumption is at an all-time low and obesity is at an
>all-time high .... hmmm...it amazes me that intelligent people can't see
>that there's a causal connection, or at least wonder if there's one.

Food seems to be a subject that people get very sensitive about.  Maybe it
touches some ancient instincts; like, if I tell you you're eating the wrong
stuff, it's almost like I'm threatening your food supply.  And fat jokes
are very taboo; they'll get you frowns and raised eyebrows, even in relaxed
company where a good-natured ethnic or sexual joke would be laughed off.

I share the thoughts described above:  they sympathy for those who are
stuck in the low-fat trap, and the frustration of not being able to do
anything about it.  Well, there is one thing we can do, and that's keep
spreading the word.

After Linda McCartney's death, I did write a letter to CNN, hoping that the
"celebrity" angle might make them consider the story.  (Again, I apologize
to anyone who thought that I was insensitive about that.)  Later, it
occurred to me that, with a little web-surfing, I could have sent the same
message to a bunch of other networks, newspapers, etc.  Actually, it might
bemore effective to take it to local media, talk-shows, etc. rather than go
for the national audience.  (Ray, have you been on any talk shows?  I have
a few connections in the Dallas media.)

I have decided to write some more emails and see if I can get anyone
interested in the story.  I will let y'all know if I have any success -- or
failure, for that matter.  We could use this list as a little support
group, sharing stories of what did and didn't work.

For what it's worth, I have noticed in talking to people about the
"caveman" diet, it's surprising how many of them say "Oh, yeah, I know
somebody who tried that and lost 60 pounds ..."  It *is* catching on,
albeit slowly.