From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 11:59:40 -0800
> The original statement says "evening" not "night".

OK, as the original poster, let me rephrase the
statement so there is no confusion: I've read many
times that eating carbs - between the evening meal and
bedtime (as in a late night snack) - which some people
refer to as "evening", and some people refer to as
"night" - can be problematic for dieters.

> The wording of the original
> statement I've seen many times before and is spouted
> by people who have never
> heard of IGF-1 and in fact, the statement first
> appeared long before GH and
> IGF-1 were known to more than a handful of people

Are you assuming I read the statement in a 30 year old
diet book?

> The original statement refers to "common sense"
> thoughts such as the one that
> food eaten late in the day has less chance to be
> "burned off" (whatever that is)
> than food eaten early.

As I stated, I've read this a number of times. I do
not recall the author's reasoning for the statement
*in every case*. However, since most of the articles
were in fairly current (within the last 5 years)
weight training oriented books or magazines, I'm sure
at least one of them promoted the HGH and IGF-1
angles. I'm also sure that some of the authors argued
that carbs would not be "burned off" (used for energy)
late in the evening (oops, I guess I should say
night). So what? I do not know, for sure, that this is
not the case.

"Common sense"? I believe about 10 years ago nearly
all of the "experts" rejected the "common sense" idea
of the low carbohydrate diet. Most still do.