From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:36:53 -0500
On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Stacie Tolen wrote:

> Ben was considering trying mozz and feta, to see if it made him react now
> that he's off grains and eggs. He has eaten cheddar occasionally and noticed
> a very mild reaction in his throat. Why would mozz and feta be more
> tolerable than a hard cheese? Are they more "raw" than other cheeses? What
> about the blue cheeses, roquefort, etc.? Yogurt?

I really don't know.  D'Adamo claims that it's about lectins.
His list of acceptable dairy foods for type As is: farmer cheese,
feta, goat cheese, goat milk, kefir, mozzarella, ricotta, yogurt,
string cheese (I suppose he means the Armenian kind, but the
mozzarella sticks should also be okay).  I haven't experimented
with all of these myself, although now that I think of it I have
had the Armenian string cheese without any mucus buildup.

But I really don't know if his theory has any merit.  When I eat
a "wrong" cheese, it's easy enough to tell within a half hour or
so.  The reaction isn't terrible, but it's clear.  No headache or
anything like that, just a mucus buildup.

> So if I wanted to test this, should I give her just a bite of mozzarella
> (would it be better to give her real mozzarella, made from buffalo milk? As
> opposed to cow's milk?) and wait a few days to see if she reacts? What about
> chevre, does the "smaller mammals' milk is easier to digest" hypothesis
> prove itself here? Can you eat chevre with no ill effect?

Again, I wish I knew more about this.  I'd say to try a small
amount and see, and avoid anything processed.

Todd Moody