From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2009 11:41:55 +0000
The problem with going zero-carb is that there is a very trying period, claimed to be between 2 to 9 weeks, depending on the source, in which you will feel very fatigued etc. as your body adapts away from carbs(I've never gotten past that stage as I feel really, really bad after c.3-4 weeks of zero-carb). The other problem is that if you, eat any sizeable amounts of  carbs after this adaptation-period, you will likely have to start all over again, judging from reports.

Grassfed meat is far better for you. grains are very unhealthy for cows so, logically, eating the meat from an animal raised not only on an unhealthy diet, but also on artificial hormones etc., will make you less healthy as well. Mind you, a number of  zero-carbers claim that grainfed meat is fine to eat, which is very dodgy advice.

Not only does the Bear not mind consuming harmful dairy products, but he also mentioned, in passing, that he incurred throat-cancer at one point, not a great endorsement of his diet.

Re lard:- Lard will do. Though, quite frankly, you'd be better off cooking in coconut oil.

Re vitamin C:- Vitamin C is very easily destroyed by heat/cooking. It does exist in sufficient amounts in raw meats, especially raw liver/raw adrenals, not sure about rare meats. I think(?) that a few zero-carbers tend to claim that there's no need for vitamin C and that the body can create other substances to make up for this, no matter how much the meat is cooked.Here's an interesting excerpt from wikipedia re vitmain C and zero-carb:- "His progress was closely monitored and experiments were done on his health throughout the year. At the end of the year, he did not show any symptoms of ill health; he did not develop scurvy, which many scientists had expected to manifest itself only a few months into the diet due to the lack of Vitamin C in muscle meat. However, Stefansson and his partner did not eat just muscle meat - they ate fat, brain, liver, and other varieties of offal.[" taken from:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-Carb_Diet

(It should be noted that Stefansson did actually eat some raw animal food(eg:- raw marrow) in his Bellevue experiment, so it wasn't all cooked).

Geoff> Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 23:38:18 -0500> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: Zero Carb Paleo> To: [log in to unmask]> > I've been eating a la Cordain for 7 months and reading the posts on this> list. A number of you are eating a high fat carnivorous diet with almost> no fruit and vegetables. I'd like to try it. I've read Bears forum --> http://activenocarber.myfreeforum.org/Bear_s_Words_Of_Wisdom_about22.html> > His diet is rare meat (with lots of animal fat) plus cream and cheese. It> strikes me that the cream and cheese aren't Paleo so I probably wouldn't> include that. Any good information on other zero carb Paleo diets would be> appreciated. > > I'm not willing to mail order to get grass fed meat. Is that a show stopper?> > Bear claims you can get enough of all vitamins, including C, from very rare> beef. Is that right?> > Also, if I can't get beef tallow will the pork product lard do for cooking?> > thanks
Twice the fun—Share photos while you chat with Windows Live Messenger. Learn more.
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/windowslive/products/messenger.aspx