From:
R Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:41:00 -0500
Original post (abbreviated):
<<Hmm. I've also read that carbs in the evening can be problematic for
dieters.>>

Ken's response (abbreviated):
<<Is there any scientific basis for this claim?>>

Rob's response (abbreviated, emphasis added*):
<<When we eat, insulin levels rise, and insulin suppresses growth hormone.
Growth hormone is ...quickly converted in the liver to Insulin-like Growth
Factor-1
(IGF-1). IGF-1 significantly enhances our bodies' ability to use glucose as
cellular fuel - fuel for cellular maintenance and repair, building muscle,
and ***burning fat***.

Ken's response:
<<And, also, this is tangential to the original poster's comment about carbs
at
night being problematic for dieters...>>

Rob's response:
"Tangential"?  Carbs at night are problematic for dieters because the
insulin produced inhibits growth hormone (Factor-1).  Growth hormone helps
to build muscle and burn body fat.

Rob