From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:29:02 -0400
On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Buji Kern wrote:

> >  There is one
> >area that occasionally becomes inflamed for a few days, for no
> >apparent reason.
>
> I have a similar experience. For me, use of my water pick for a few days
> takes care of the problem. Years ago, when I was a regular at Duncan Donuts,
> my gums would sometimes get so bad they stank. GROSS! For deliverance from
> this alone, I am deeply grateful to the low carb diet.

I'm confident that in my case at least the relief from
periodontitis is due to the shift in eicosanoid production that
results from reducing carbs.  The lowered insulin shifts
eicosanoid production away from the pro-inflammatory series II,
just as Barry Sears says it should.  This was for me the most
dramatic evidence that there was something to this.  Going from
Zone to Neanderthin did not improve the situation, but certainly
maintained the benefits.

As for the occasional inflamed area, I suspect that there is a
"pocket" there that traps some irritants once in a while.  My jaw
is narrow and teeth crooked -- the testimony of another grain-fed
kid.  This makes it easier for stuff to get in there.  I'm trying
to persuade my insurance company that orthodontics is an actual
medical need and not just a cosmetc one.

Todd Moody