From:
Cheyenne Loon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 01:11:56 -0500
thanks, Rachel, for the fish oil advice.  I'm not sure i could handle cold
oil on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, so maybe i'll try at
night :-) .  On a similar topic, last week I went to hear an excellent talk
by David Suzuki about conserving West Coast salmon.  For you non-Canadians,
he's a well known Canadian geneticist, journalist, and environmental
activist from Vancouver.  In response to a question from the audience, he
stated forcefully that people should outright object to farmed
salmon...apparently they are a threat to wild salmon populations, since
their genetic homogeneity makes them vulnerable to disease and other
weaknesses, which can then be spread to wild salmon stocks.  (Though he
didn't mention this, I'm sure their fat makeup is less desirable than that
of wild salmon as well.)  He stated the following:

- all salmon termed "Atlantic salmon" is farmed salmon.
- coho and chinook salmon may, or may not be farmed... you must ask ask to
be sure.
- sockeye and chum salmon are wild.

...so check the labels on your canned salmon!
more info at:

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/Campaigns_and_Programs/Salmon_Aquaculture/

Cheyenne